Dr. Gloria Willingham
Dr. Gloria Willingham was one of the early graduates of the newly desegregated Little Rock Central High School in the 1960's. She says that she never could have made it without the support and encouragement of her community. She knows firsthand what it is like to move through systems. She knows what it is like to be a single parent, working full-time and going to school. She knows firsthand the disparities and difficulties that persons from such backgrounds face, often unspoken and unshared. She encourages us all to "tell our story" to help others to regain their strength and the strength of the community.
Dr. Willingham is a retired Lt. Colonel of the U.S. Army Reserves and worked as a nurse for over twenty years in roles ranging from nurses' aide, to staff nurse, to her retirement as a Chief, Nursing Education and Research at the Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care System in Long Beach, California. She moved into collegiate education having served many years in adjunct faculty roles and on the advisory boards of numerous nursing programs.
She organized the first group of African-American nurses in Long Beach, California to form Psi Eta chapter of Chi Eta Phi Nursing Sorority Inc. While on the faculty at California State University, Long Beach she was one of only a handful of African-American Nurse. She resides in Bellflower, CA.
- Founder, The Village P.r.o.j.e.c.t.s
- Founder, Psi Eta Chapter, Chi Eta Phi Sorority, Inc
- Cofounder, AframGlobal Organization Inc
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Unabridged Genius
- Member, Advisory Board, Tuskegee Airmen Foundation, Della H. Raney Nursing Scholarships
- Member, American Legion, Jackie Robinson Post
- Recipient Award for Service to Community, State and Nation – from the Beverly Hills/Hollywood NAACP
- Recipient Award for Service to Community, State, and Nation – from the American Legion, Jackie Robinson Post
- Certificate of Recognition for Community Service from Mayor, Long Beach, California
- Distinguished Alumni Award – Claremont Graduate University
- Alumni Hall of Fame – Claremont Graduate University